Friday, April 18, 2014

The Concrete Jungle

The corporate world is actually a jungle where wild animals wear business attires. They wear branded leather shoes to protect their feet. Feet that they use to step on other people's shoulders in order to stand out. They wear expensive wrist watches but waste other people's time. They wear decent clothes to look good while they strip others down naked. 

I will admit. Nearly four years of working has taken its toll on me. For the past four years, I have to compel myself to deal with the problem of evil, politics and daily heavy traffic. The people are bully and envious. They steal ideas and say we're up to no good. I may have been cynical along the way. I have lost my faith on some people. I find the system disgusting. 

Though I may have allowed myself to be dragged by the stress of earning a living, I will never allow myself to lose hope that I can make a difference. One day, I will be taking the shots, making the calls and giving the last say. But in the process of getting there, I will exert all my effort to resist the temptation to inflict unnecessary cruelty in order to succeed. I will inspire others to be passionate without being brutal, to fight for survival fairly and with compassion. So when that day comes, I will be different from those who now enjoy my vehement criticisms. 

In my humble view, leadership is not about having power or having entitlement to anything.   It is certainly not about being the big man bullying the small boys. It is not about asking people to do things, it's about doing it with them. Leadership is about the responsibility to empower people, to influence them to do better, to inspire them to lead. 

The corporate world is actually a jungle where wild animals wear business attires. Let us not fall easy prey to these self absorbed predators. Let us not allow ourselves to be eaten by the system. Let us not be dead meat. Instead, let us change the landscape. We can begin by being the opposite of those that we hate. Let us strive to always be objective, impersonal and professional. But first, we must know the essence of those terms. 

Going against the current is a difficult task. Changing it is even harder. But I know we can. And we will start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment