Sunday, October 24, 2010

ricoblancofans = ricoblancofans + me;

At mass today, I was sitting inches away from Rico Blanco. According to Wikipedia, “Blanco has so far recorded, written and produced more local and regional number one hits than any other musician since 1994.” So it is a quite humbling experience to see a man of such status kneel before the Lord. As a matter of fact, he even prayed longer than I did after taking the communion.

If even men with great feats kneel and beg for charity, then who am I to be arrogant and pretend that I can do all things on my own?

Wearing just a white shirt, six-pocket pants and sneakers, I can’t help but appreciate the guy’s simplicity. Quite honestly, I have never been a fan of Rico Blanco. Yes, I know some of his songs, most of them are good. I can even remember the time when I would watch Myx to wait for Balisong’s video and sing along. But I’d never really paid significant attention to him as a celebrity, as an artist, as a person. Not until this day.

When I saw him at Mass, the first thing I said in my head was “taga Pacita nga ‘to.” Though I’m aware of his superstar status, I wasn’t really overwhelmed by his presence. For me, he was effortlessly being upstaged by the greatest Rockstar, Jesus Christ. And I have to give it to Blanco for not trying to steal the spot light by looking or acting flamboyant. His aura was sincere and not diva-ish. I sensed that he prays fervently, without a hint of superficiality.

That was the time when I realized that Rico Blanco, when undressed with his immense popularity, is a man who’s core is admirable, inspiring and deeply humbling. Needless to say, his talent is praiseworthy. But it is the character that he displayed that captured my respect.

So now, I proclaim that I am a Rico Blanco fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment